Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Art Life...New Beginnings


I took this amazing class at Convenzione called "Gridlocked" with Lisa Kaus last weekend. We worked with fluid acrylics, water soluble oil pastels, found objects and other fun stuff. I just wanted to share my work-in-progress. The final step is to coat it with a yummy smelling layer of beeswax. It never appealed to me to work on a wood substrate before this class. I think it's the best surface to adhere big, chunky found objects to--another thing I didn't quite get to finish yet; the chunky bits will get some tiny nails and wire attachments to keep 'em on there for good. ;)


What else is goin' on? Maya stared First Grade last week. She came home from the first day proclaiming that it was just too long of a day and that I could pick her up around lunch time. ;) I hear ya' little one. I didn't like how much school cut into my free time--how much time it took from me in general! I don't do too well with structured, scheduled blobs of time.


I think that's part of the reason I did something really scary and wild last week: I quit my job. I do enjoy teaching art to kids, but it's not my passion. It is my "security net" job. What I really want to do is be an artist full time. It's no coincidence that this decision was made soon after I received Kelly Rae Roberts' new book, "Taking Flight" last week! I have also embarked on a new adventure with Kelsi where I will be facilitating art experiences with new and expectant moms. It was perfect timing. The new venture is called "Expressive Arts Play" (or "Mama Love"). The blog is up and running, we've got three exciting, nurturing classes planned...now we're hunting for the right space. ;) Updates soon! We expect our first classes to start in October.

Oh, and today was the first day to send out Artfest registrations for next year's gathering in Port Townsend, Washington. I am SO excited. I can't wait to see what classes I get this year. I'm also considering driving out this time. AND I just signed up today for Anahata Katkin's weekend workshop in Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Ca! I get to take two classes of hers that she taught at Artfest last year--Mixed Media Mandalas and Funky Wallpaper People. I couldn't be more thrilled! Hooray for the creative, fearless, artful life!

3 comments:

  1. You go girl! How very exciting! I am so happy for you going for what brings you joy. Congratulations!

    Could you email me? I have an invitation. Go to my blog and click on the email me link at the top left side.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,

    Love the work you did at Convenzione! Sounds like you liked your class as much as I liked mine (DJ Pettitt). It was a pleasure to meet you in Pleasanton. I'll look for you next spring at ArtFest.

    All the best,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you added me on the ZNE group netwrok page so I can now read your blog. Your Maya is precious and you are taking some lovely photographs. I wish I could come to Artfest, I've always wanted to go. Tell us all about it when you return.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...